Chartway Arena is one of the most adaptable and accessible entertainment venues in Hampton Roads. Our professional, friendly staff is here to assist to ensure your event experience is enjoyable and memorable.
The Chartway Arena is a State of the art $47 million multi-purpose facility. The Arena seats over 8,600 for basketball games and sporting events. The seating capacity may be increased to 9,000 for events such as commencements, concerts and family shows when seating is added on the floor. The Arena also features a 9,100 square feet multi-purpose room. The Chartway Arena was designed and built to accommodate our guests with special needs by complying with all ADA specifications. We encourage all guests who have concerns, comments, or who need assistance to talk to any member of The Chartway Arena Staff. If any guests have further questions or have suggestions on how to make your experience, more enjoyable please call us at (757) 683-5762.
- Chartway Arena features accessible seating and companion seating at all levels for guests with physical disabilities. We offer convenient accessible parking as well as an assisted listening system
- Pick up a copy of our Accessibility Guide at Guest Services during events
- The entrance for guests with disabilities is located on the corner of 45th Street and Hampton Blvd. Curbside drop off and pick up is available at this location.
We offer accessible parking at all parking facilities located throughout Old Dominion University. Parking Garage D, located between 45th and 46th street, will be the primary parking place for guests with disabilities. All guests who wish to park in the reserved spaces must have a state-issued handicapped window pass, sticker or license plate. Vehicles, which do not have these credentials, will be allowed to drop guests off at the 45th Street entrance and then proceed to the parking garage. Parking is included in the price of a ticket.
Accessible tickets for all events can be purchased at the Chartway Arena Ticket Office located at the 43rd Street entrance, or by logging onto www.YnotTix.com. To ensure that we have ample seating for all guests who require assistance we have developed these guidelines.
- Accessible seating will be set aside for all events.
- Tickets are available on a first-come-first-serve basis to all guests with disabilities.
- It is our intention to have seats for guests at all price levels.
- In order to provide ample seating for all guests with disabilities, we have implemented a two-ticket limit per guest with a disability.
- Additional seats will be made available for parties of more than two people and will be located as close as possible to the other guests in their party.
- If an event is sold out, all remaining accessible seats will be released for sale to the public 72 hours after the event is sold out or on the day of the event.
Guests who arrive at Chartway Arena and require accessible seating but are without accessible seating tickets will be accommodated based on seating availability at the Guest Services booth.
We have ample seating located throughout the arena for all guests with disabilities. ADA seating is available on the main concourse located in sections; 101,102,104, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 112, 114, 115, on the club level in sections 204, 214, 219 and in all suites. For specific locations see the chart on the back of this brochure. The amount of ADA seating will vary from event to event, based on numerous configurations of the arena.
All arena entrances are ADA accessible.
There are three ADA accessible elevators located in the arena. Two are located at the center’s 45th street entrance, which is located across from Parking Garage D. The other elevator is located at the center’s East Lobby Entrance. The center’s elevators will service all levels of the arena.
All restrooms located throughout the arena will have ADA accessible sinks and stalls. Our family restrooms are located at the top of sections 106,110 and 214.
- Water Fountains
Water fountains located inside the arena are accessible to all guests.
- Public Phones
All public payphones in the arena are designed to be accessible for all guests. Public Pay Phones are located in the North Lobby, South Lobby and on the main concourse at the top of section 102.
- Assistive Listening Devices
Assistive listening devices will be available to our guests at the Guest Services Booth. The assistive listening device is a headset that broadcasts the arena’s sound system on an FM frequency. All guests will be required to leave a valid form of identification in order to use the equipment.
- Braille Signage
Braille Signage will be displayed on all accessible signs throughout the building.
Our Guest Services Booth will have a limited number of wheelchairs for guests who need assistance arriving to their seats.
- Sign Language Interpreter
The Chartway Arena offers interpreters for all guests requiring special assistance. However, we will need at least 10 days prior notification for our guest to utilize this feature.
- Ticket Windows
Wheelchair accessible windows are located in the South Lobby and also at the outside ticket windows.
Located at each exit is an Area of Rescue Assistance. This system will provide guests who have an emergency with immediate assistance. To use the Area of Rescue Assistance, you will need to access the intercom located at the top of the stairs at each exit. Event Services will contact you at the intercom and will assist you as need be. The fire department will be the only individuals allowed access to use elevators in the case of an emergency evacuation. The Area of Rescue Assistance can also be used in the case of a personal emergency.
Any guide dog or other service animal that is assisting a guest is more than welcome at all events.
The Guest Services Booth is located in the Main Lobby and is available at all times during events to assist guests with any challenges that may occur.
- Finding accessible seating
- Giving directions
- Resolving ticketing issues
- Checking out assistive listening devices
- Reserving dinner reservations at any local restaurant
- Wheelchair assistance
- Checking in baby strollers
Important Phone Numbers
- Accessible Ticket Orders
- Chartway Administrative Offices
- Chartway Ticket Office / Information
Chartway Arena Guest Service Representatives are available to assist wheelchair-bound guests and guests on crutches at any entrance. Our representatives will take you as close as possible to your seat and make arrangements to pick you up at the end of the night. Simply notify a Gate Supervisor at any of our entrances and they will radio for assistance.